Nowadays we have all manner of self help books, gurus and experts giving us all sorts of advice and making all sorts of comments about what people should do if they are to “be happy”. Many of the philosophies of the world stand in contradiction to the narrative and witness of the bible.
Below are just a few of the things culture at large says we must do, or be in order to be happy. Jesus never said any of them!
- “believe in yourself”. He said “believe in me”. (John 14:1 & others).
- “forgive yourself”. He said “Father forgive them” (Luke 23:34) and “forgive one another” (Matthew 6:14,15).
- “lies are ok if they are ‘white’ lies”. He said that Satan is the father of ALL lies (John 8:44).
- “Look after number 1”. He said look after the poor, the naked, the hungry, the prisoner (Matthew 25:31-46).
- “The aim of life is happiness”, He said He came that we might have life in all its fullness (John 10:10), and “be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48).
- “if your good outweighs your bad — you’ll get in”, He said “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).
If you’re a Christian, there’s at least one more!
- “it’s only ‘real’ worship if you enjoy it”. He said true worshippers worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).